Terror Attack at Jerusalem Bus Stop Leaves Three Dead, Six Injured

Terror Attack at Jerusalem Bus Stop Leaves Three Dead, Six Injured

In a devastating act of terror, a shooting at a Jerusalem bus stop early Thursday morning resulted in the deaths of three individuals and injuries to six others. Police sources indicated that the attack, which took place at approximately 7:40 a.m., was perpetrated by two Palestinian men, brothers Murad and Ibrahim Namr from East Jerusalem, who targeted people at the bus stop.

Rapid Intervention and Tragic Losses

Reacting swiftly to the unfolding situation, two off-duty soldiers and an armed local resident engaged the assailants, ultimately resulting in their deaths. The Magen David Adom emergency service has confirmed the fatality of a young woman, aged 24, at the site of the attack. An elderly couple critically wounded in the incident later passed away at a hospital in Jerusalem. Of the others injured, two remain in a serious condition, while the rest have suffered injuries ranging from moderate to minor.

Background of the Attackers

The Shin Bet security agency revealed that the Namr brothers were affiliated with Hamas and had past convictions for terror-related activities. Murad Namr had been imprisoned from 2010 to 2020 for planning attacks under the guidance of Gaza Strip terror elements, while Ibrahim was jailed in 2014 for undisclosed terror activities. The assailants were armed with an M-16 assault rifle and a handgun, and their vehicle contained a large cache of ammunition.

Ongoing Security Measures

Police have initiated a thorough search of the area to eliminate the threat of any additional attackers. This attack adds to the already heightened tensions in Israel and the West Bank, following a significant Hamas-led breach of the Israeli border on October 7, resulting in substantial casualties and hostage situations.

Ceasefire and Rising Tensions

Despite a six-day-old ceasefire between Israel and the Hamas terror group in the Gaza Strip, the threat of escalation remains palpable. Israeli Defense Forces continue to operate in the West Bank, and police forces are on high alert across Israel. The recent release of Palestinian security prisoners in exchange for abducted Israeli hostages has further intensified the situation.

A Year Since the Last Attack

This attack occurs almost exactly a year after a previous deadly bombing at the same bus stop, underscoring the ongoing security challenges in the region. The Israeli government remains committed to ensuring the safety of its citizens and combating terrorism.


Back to top